Saturday, February 20, 2010

"Getting an inch of snow is like winning 10 cents in the lottery" - Bill Watterson

Yesterday the snow was melting and today we have three more inches and counting. I guess the storms back east have finally made their way west to Wyoming! According to Bill Watterson, I should have an extra 30 cents in my pocket today.  

Since I've been on Ideal Protein, I haven't been going to the gym. To be completely honest, I hadn't been to the gym for about 2 months before I started the plan! So, tomorrow I plan to jump in with both feet and really hit it! When I was on the ball with my exercise program, I would get to the gym at about one o'clock in the afternoon. I lifted for 40 minutes and then hopped on the elliptical for 45 minutes. Cardio was every day and my weight program was three days a week. Then came three sets of abs with each set going to failure. By that time the steamer was calling my name and my workout was over. Those were the days....I felt pleasantly exhausted at the end of my two hour sweatathon and my body was getting into great shape. Now that I've dropped about 11 pounds and I've adjusted to my diet, I'm ready to welcome the gym back into my life.

Last night's dinner was a complete success. And both recipes are definitely worth sharing. Not only are they Ideal Protein friendly, but this meal would also be fit for company. A nice glass of Merlot would have rounded out the meal, but I'll have to wait until I get myself back into shape to enjoy my wine pairing! My recipe serves two and I just served myself a portion that was allowed with my diet.

Strip Steaks with Jalapeno Chimichurri

5 cloves of garlic, minced
3 jalapenos, seeded and minced
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup fresh parsley
1/2 cup fresh oregano
3 limes, juiced
3/4 cup olive oil
2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 strip steaks

Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor and pulse to combine thoroughly. Reserve half of the sauce in a bowl for serving and pour the remainder in a plastic bag. Place the steaks in the bag, cover with the sauce and put in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to marinate.

Grill the steaks for 6 minutes on either side for medium rare (or longer if you like your steak medium or well done) and allow the steaks to rest on a plate covered with foil.

Spicy Cauliflower Mash

1 head cauliflower, chopped
1 cup canned green chiles
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Cook the cauliflower in a large pot of boiling water for about 15 minutes or until tender. Drain the cauliflower and put back into the pot on low heat. Mash with a potato masher and season with kosher salt and pepper. Add the green chiles and red pepper flakes and stir to combine.

To serve, cut the steaks on a bias and drizzle with two teaspoon or so of the jalapeno chimichurri.

For myself, I only ate about five ounces of the steak and one cup of the cauliflower mash.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment