Monday, February 15, 2010

Heartburn no more

For the past few years, eating meat has been nothing less than a challenge. Not because I'm a vegetarian (I actually love meat), but because I have been hounded with what I was told was a hiatal hernia. Instead of taking my chances with surgery, I decided to tough it out. Toughing it out meant diligently cutting my meat into small pieces and trying, with little success, to ignore carbohydrates. Last night as I was dicing my sirloin steak into manageable bites, I noticed that my throat felt great and my food was going down without a hitch. I was able to eat grown up bites and everything! Then I thought about it - I hadn't felt a bit of heartburn for weeks, coincidentally the same time as when I started the Ideal Protein plan. I was ecstatic! I began to rave about how good I felt and how wonderful it was to enjoy my food just as I'd imagined normal people do. My boyfriend wasn't nearly as impressed as I was, but all the same it was exciting! The only problem I have now is that I want to know exactly what was causing my troubles before. Was it the breads, starches and sweets? Was it the glass of wine? Or is that I am drinking more water than I ever thought would be possible? Or maybe I was just overweight and body was saying, "Hey, it's time to get healthy again!" Whatever the reason, I'll have to wait it out until I reach my final phase of the Ideal Protein plan to find out. And unfortunately, waiting is not one of my strong suits.

No comments:

Post a Comment