Sunday, February 28, 2010

Having your cake and eating it too

Tomorrow will mark my fifth week of working towards a healthier lifestyle. I've lost about 15 pounds and should see another three pound drop tomorrow at my weigh-in. I've started my exercise regimen again, even though I only make it to the gym about four days out of the week, and I'm enjoying the challenge of creating meals sans butter, cream and cooked onions. Yes, I can only eat raw onions for the time being. All in all, I'd say things are going really well.

The concept of eating to live rather than to living to eat has been hovering around me for the past several weeks. I read a lot of various blogs and articles in health conscious magazines that emphasize the necessity of only eating what you need and I'm not sure that I can buy in to this quite yet. I still enjoy reading Bon Appétit and Saveur, I adore watching Anthony Bourdain binge on foods that look like pure ecstasy and I can't help but plan trips around the local food fare. And, while sipping my morning coffee, I ponder what that night's dinner will be. I'm fairly certain that I'll never stop living to eat. And after I’ve reached my weight loss goal through Ideal Protein, I plan to resume my foodie absorbed lifestyle. I'll be it a revised lifestyle, but I certainly don't plan to sweep my love of food and wine under the kitchen rug.

So, can we still be healthy without giving up every indulgence we've grown to love? I think, yes. Many say you can't have your cake and eat it too, but why not? Why can't we have it both ways - maintain a healthy lifestyle, while also enjoying a three course meal with a glass of wine.

Approaching your relationship with food in moderation is the key. Sure, I'm guilty of clipping out recipes for Lobster Pot Pie, Chocolate Mousse, Baked Ziti and Homemade Mozzarella Sticks. Two months ago, I would have made a weekend out of it and had two nights of heaven - the pot pie and mousse on Friday and the ziti and cheese sticks on Saturday. But now, instead of pushing the envelope, I know that this just isn't possible. So why not splurge only on Saturday night and have Baked Ziti with a nice green salad. And use whole wheat rigatoni, low fat mozzarella cheese and homemade marinara rather than the jar? Additionally, cut the usual “serves six” recipe down to something that will only be enough for a dinner and maybe lunch the next day. I know from experience that attractive leftovers only create temptation! Besides when you make too much you feel obligated to eat everything up or you'll be wasteful.

I think a lot of dieters end up being successful through their chosen program, whether it is Weight Watchers, Nutrisystem or Ideal Protein. Then after they reach their goal, I imagine it's kind of like being released from the Betty Ford Clinic - feeling like you don't know how to eat or what to do after you're off of the packaged foods, supplements and restricted diet. So, we return to what is comfortable. The box of donuts, the cheese pizza or mom's macaroni and cheese. The challenge becomes tossing the donuts for a smoothie and piece of lightly buttered whole grain toast with a sprinkle of cinnamon, pitching the white-crusted delivery pizza for a homemade whole wheat crust and veggie topped pie and revamping your family’s heirloom Mac 'n' cheese recipe.

Is everything I've said just lip service? I don't think so, but my mind set is that of a determined girl looking to live healthy while also enjoying some of her favorite things. Tonight, I'm making a citrus lobster salad and pan seared scallops over curried cauliflower purée.

        

  

No comments:

Post a Comment