Thursday, February 18, 2010

And I thought that spring was almost here

This morning when I drew the shades I was greeted by three inches of white powder. I threw on my tennis shoes, because I foolishly thought that I could tuck away my Sorels for the year, and tiptoed out onto my back deck to let my six year old yellow lab take care of her morning business in the yard. Even though Wyoming is notorious for early spring snowstorms, I had consciously eliminated the prospect from my mind. I am ready for robins, green grass and the arrival of my purple pansies.

Spring not only is my favorite season, but it also brings the anticipation of my yearly jaunt to Cabo San Lucas. And this year, not only was I going to be ready to board the plane but so was my body. My guest room houses a cedar chest that might as well be a coffin because it hasn't seen the light of day for years. The chest holds shorts, tank tops and other summer clothing that, in the past, have not been figure-friendly. Material possessions that I could not part with because I was convinced that someday I would be able to wear them again. This year I will be ready to open that chest! No more hiding in sweat shorts and baggy t-shirts and definitely no more covering myself with a beach towel before standing up by the pool. By the middle of April, I will be looking forward to packing rather than dreading the usual four-hour dressing room like marathon in front of my full length mirror.

I'm finding that it is easier each day to follow the Ideal Protein plan. I have an inherent ritualistic type personality and not in the sense of cults or voodoo! I like to follow a schedule and without even knowing it I will have fallen into a pattern. So, a diet like this really suits my personality. I've looked around online to see if there are any other discussions on the plan and it seems to me that people are really skeptical. I think a good portion of these feelings come from the fact that packaged meals instantly make a person think of "astronaut food." But once you choose the drink flavors you enjoy (or can tolerate) and come up with creative ideas to spice up your soup or omelet, the plan doesn't seem so bad after all. I've found that dinner is an opportunity and a fun challenge for me to create recipes using the list of vegetables and proteins that I am allowed - it's kind of like I am a contestant on the Food Network show Chopped! So that's why you'll see an Ideal Protein friendly recipe out at the end of each of my postings. I love to cook and there is no reason that I can't channel this obsession into creating meals that are good for me.

Some of my recipe entries are pretty simplistic, but sometimes the simplest combinations are the most rewarding! This next recipe is what I usually refer to as "The Usual Suspects" because I make it so often and it has become one of my favorite flavor profiles. Broccoli or eggplant can also be tasty additions!

Confetti Mixed Vegetables

2 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 cup zucchini, sliced in half moons
1/2 cup asparagus, sliced on the angle
1/4 cup red bell pepper
1/4 cup green bell pepper
2 green onions, sliced
1 1/2 teaspoons fine herbes (Penzeys Spice, preferred)

Place a non-stick skillet on medium heat and add the olive oil. Toss in the vegetables, season with sea salt and freshly ground pepper and stir to combine. Sprinkle the fine herbes over the vegetables and cook for about 15 minutes until tender.

No comments:

Post a Comment